white bread | bread recipe
Bread is a staple food prepared from a dough of flour and water, usually by baking. It is the most staple and prominent food to be eaten throughout the world. It may be leavened by processes like using sourdough or using yeast whether fresh or dry instant active one for the process. Additives like flavoring agents are added in order to provide texture, color and flavors to the bread and to increase its shelf life.
Bread making is a kind of therapy as it requires a lot of kneading with your hands. So it is actually a stress buster for me. Use of good quality yeast is very important, otherwise, you will not get the desired results. My today’s bread is the simplest white bread which is widely eaten throughout world. Many other variants of breads are also available.
For activating yeast:
Instant dry active yeast: 3/4 tbsp
Luke warm milk: 1 cup
Sugar: 1.5 tbsp
For preparing bread dough:
All purpose flour/maida: 2 cups
salt: 1/2 tsp
Refined oil: 2 tbsp
Water: 1/2 cup/or as required
Milk+butter wash: for brushing the bread surface
Activation of yeast:
1. Take a bowl and add luke warm milk to it.
2. Now add sugar and yeast to it.
3. Keep it for around 4 minutes and it will bloom.
Preparation of dough:
4. Now take a bowl and all purpose flour, oil and salt and mix them thoroughly.
5. Now add The activated yeast and prepare a dough. The dough would be sticky. add water if required. I have added more than 1/4 cup of water to prepare the dough.
6. Take the dough on a platform and dust some plain flour and start kneading the dough. Add some oil and knead the dough until the cracks disappears. Refer to the pictures.
7. Now take the dough and roll it and tuck it inside. Take a greased bowl and keep the dough in it to rise. Let it rise to double of its original volume. It will take around 2 hours.
8. After 2 hours, Punch the dough and then again knead it. Roll it like cylinder and seal the ends as shown in the pic.
9. Take a bread baking tin and grease it and put the dough in it. Let it proof for around 30-4 minutes until it just increases in volume. Brush it with butter+milk wash.
10. Preheat oven at !80 degrees C for 10 minutes. Bake the bread at 170 degrees C for 25-30 minutes in an oven. If you are using Convection microwave then, bake at 200 degrees C for 40-45 minutes.
11. Take out the bread tin and tap to check the hollow sound.
12. Rub some butter on the surface for shiny appearance. De mould on a wire rack after 10 minutes.
13. Slice the bread after 30 minutes or when it is completely cooled.
14. Serve with butter or jam of your choice.