Manchurian is an Indian Chinese dish prepared by making fried balls of vegetables or chicken and binded with cornflour and served dry or with gravy made by using cornflour slurry and Chinese seasoning.
—For manchurian balls:
Finely chopped carrots: 1/2 cup
Finely chopped cabbage: 1/2 cup
Finely chopped cauliflower: 1/2 cup
Finely chopped spring onions: 1/2 cup
Finely chopped garlic: 1 tbsp
Grated ginger: 1 tbsp
Soya sauce: 1 tbsp
Salt: as per taste
Black pepper powder: 1.5 tsp
Cornflour: 2 tbsp
All purpose flour: 3 tbsp
Oil: 2 tbsp+ for frying
Grated ginger: 1 tbsp
Chopped garlic: 1 tbsp
Chopped green chilies: 1.5 tbsp
Diced capsicum: 1 cup
Chopped spring onions: 1/2 cup
Soy sauce: 1.5 tbsp
Vinegar: 1.5 tsp
Tomato ketchup: 1 tbsp
Schezwan sauce: 1 tsp
Chinese seasoning: 2 tsp
Black pepper powder: 1 tsp
Cornflour: 1.5 tbsp
Water: 2 cups+4 cups
—Preparation of Manchurian balls…
1. Take a bowl and add all the finely chopped vegetables to it. Make sure the vegetables should be finely chopped. You can use chopper or food processor for the same.
2. Now add cornflour, all purpose flour, black pepper powder, salt and soya sauce to the bowl. Mix everything nicely. THE MIXTURE SHOULD NOT BE MUCH HARD, OTHERWISE THE BALLS WILL BE VERY HARD.
3. Now pinch some mix and make its roundels to prepare the balls. The mixture is sticky so use little oil in palms to roll them. Fry the balls in medium hot oil at medium flame for till they turn golden brown in colour.
—Preparation of gravy…
Note: The preparation of the gravy has to be done on high temperature.
1. Heat a wok and add oil to it. Now heat oil to a high temperature.
2. Now add chilies, ginger and garlic to the oil. Saute them nicely.
3. Add capsicum and spring onions to it. Add soy sauce, vinegar, tomato ketchup, Chinese seasonings and salt to it. Add black pepper powder if you want. Add 4 cups of water to the wok.
4. Now prepare cornflour slurry by adding cornflour to 2 cups of water and add it slowly to the wok.
5. Let the water reduce in the wok and let the gravy thickens. The gravy is sheen and shiny.
6. Add manchurian balls and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Serve with fried rice or serve as it is.