Rice puffs cutlets…
Snacks are the portions of food which are generally smaller than the regular food and are eaten in between the meals, generally, during tea time. Variety of snacks are consumed worldwide., some are the packed ones and some are homemade. Oftenly cold cuts, fruits, leftovers, nuts, biscuits, sandwiches, chocolate, popcorn and sweets are used as snacks.
Today I have got a recipe of cutlets which are made with leftover rice puffs which we bought during the festival of deepawali for worshipping Goddess Laxmi. During deepawali lots of rice puffs are left and they are after sometimes are just thrown in the dustbin as nobody wants to eat them as they are sauggy and not crispy. This time I tried my hands on preparing cutlets with them and truly, they came out super crispy and yummy.
Chopped onions: 2 cups
Grated boiled potatoes: 2 cups
Bread crumbs: 1 cup
Rice puffs: 3 cups
Wheat flour: 1/4 cup+1/2 cup
Cornflour: 1/ cup
Semolina: 1/2 cup
Chopped green chilies: 2 tbsp
Grated ginger: 2 tbsp
Kasuri methi: 2 tbsp
Red chili powder: 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder: 1 tsp
Chaat masala powder: 1.5 tbsp
Salt: as per taste
Asafoetida: 1/4 tsp
All spice powder/Garam masala powder: 1 tsp
Roasted cumin powder: 1 tsp
Mint/pudina powder: 1 tsp
Oil: for shallow frying
1. Mix onions, wheat flour, cornflour and bread crumbs together. Now add grated potato, ginger and green chilies to the onion mix.
2. Add rice puffs to the bowl and add all the dry spice ingredients to the bowl and mix them thoroughly.
3. Rub some oil in your hand and pinch small portion from the mix and roll them in a cylindrical shape to give a shape of kebab.
4. Now take two bowls., in one, take semolina and 1/4cup wheat flour mixture and in other take rice puffs.
5. Roll each kebab first in rice puffs and then in the semoilna+wheat flour mixture. Roll each kebab in the same way.
6. Store them in a container and keep in refrigerator for around 1 hour to set.
7. After 1 hour, Heat some oil in a flat bottom pan and shallow fry the kebabs until they turns golden brown in color.
8. Serve hot with coriander dip or tomato ketchup.