rice lauki croquettes | cheese filled croquettes
Today in kids special I have got croquettes. Don’t get panic by the name!!!! They are just Indian pakoras, filled with potatoes, cheese and are deep fried. Well!!! we need fancier names to make our kids happy. But behind being making them happy my idea of not leaving the nutrition quotient is always intact in mind.
I want my child to eat something new but the nutritional value has to be kept constant and the motto of not using refined flours and lesser usage of oil also have to be considered.
Well!!! my todays dish is Rice lauki croquettes which are a power packed snack filled with lots of bottle gourd(lauki), boiled rice, fresh greens and little of cheese cubes.
The idea behind preparing this dish was to make a snack which could be complete in itself and can be served with curd dip or with tomato sauce.
- Boiled rice- 1 cup
- Processed cheese- 2-3 cubes
- Grated bottle gourd(lauki)- 1 cup
- chopped spring onions- 1/2 cup
- Chopped fresh coriander- 1/4 cup
- Garam masala powder- 1 tsp
- Chaat masala powder- 1 tsp
- Red chili powder- 1/2 tsp
- Black salt- 1 tsp
- Rock salt- 1/2 tsp
- Besan/gram flour- 1 cup
- Roasted vermicelli- 1 cup
- Dry roast the gram flour/besan in a non stick pan till a nutty flavor starts coming.
Now take a wok (i have taken an iron wok purpose fully) and brush some oil in it.
- Now to the wok add spring onions and sauté them.
- Add grated bottle gourd/lauki to the spring onions.
- Now add all the dry spices to the above mixture. Mix them thoroughly and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Take out the mixture from the wok and let it cool.
- Now add boiled rice to it. Mix nicely.
- Now add 3/4 cup of roasted gram flour and chopped coriander to the above mixture. Mix thoroughly.
- Make a smooth dough and keep it for 15 minutes.
Dice small cubes of the cheese block.
- Pinch small balls from the dough and make roundels of it.
- Now make small depressions in the balls and put the small cheese cubes in it and cover the balls properly so that the cheese should not come out.
- Take 1/4 cup of gram flour and mix with 1/2 cup of water and make a slurry.
- Dip the balls in the slurry and then roll in the roasted vermicelli and keep aside.
Now take an appe pan(appam chatti), brush it with some oil.
- Now roast the croquettes in the appam pan and cover the pan and cook in simmer flame.
- Occasionally flip the balls and brush with some oil.
- The croquettes would be ready in around 10-15 minutes.
Cut the croquettes into half and the cheese will ooze out. Looks tempting.
- Serve steamy hot with tomato ketchup.
- The method would be same till step 14.
- Now deep fry the croquettes into olive oil or any refined oil.
- Take out from the oil and serve hot.
- Just by looking at the pics you won’t find any difference between the fried and non fried one. So you can also go for the non fried one. They are similar in taste and are similarly crispy.