I am back with yet another tiffin recipe for kids and adults too and even for the fitness freaks…..
People are asking me for more and more of tiffin recipes, so these days I am more concentrated towards this category.
Morning meals must be full of energy and flavors. A kick start of the day will happens with a good plate of breakfast meal.
The Oats idli is a combination of multi grains and veggies and is loaded with nutrients. It is a power packed breakfast. It has beetroot and oats as major component.
The method of cooking here is steaming. Personally, I believe that steamed foods are always easy to digest and their nutritional value remains intact.
Benefits of oats:
- Prevents cardiovascular disease
- Prevents constipation
- Reduces cancer risk
- Reduces hypertension
- Supports weight loss
- Enhances immune response to diseases. Oatmeal is able to normalize the skin’s pH. It also helps moisturize and soften the skin.”
Benefits of beetroot:
It helps in detoxification. Low in fat and calories and rich in antioxidants. Beetroot is a great source of fiber and minerals like iron, potassium and manganese which are essential for good health and in combination with other foods it can deliver a lot. It is particularly high in protein and iron than most other roots and tubers. Beetroot is actually one of the best home remedies to fight the flakes and an itchy scalp.
- Oats- 1 cup
- Rice flour- 1/2 cup
- Beetroot juice- 1/2 cup
- Curd- 1 cup
- Water- almost 1 cup
- Salt- 1 tsp
- Freshly chopped coriander- 1/2 cup
- Fruit salt/eno- 1 tsp
- Lemon juice- 1 tsp
- Oil- 1 tsp
- Black mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Chana dal/split chickpeas- 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal/split black gram- 1/2 tsp
- Hing/asafoetida- a pinch of(optional)
- Dry roast the oats in a non stick pan for 4-5 minutes.
- Add rice flour to the pan when nutty aroma starts coming from the roasted oats.
- Roast rice flour and oats together for 2 minutes.
- Turn off the gas knob and let them cool.
- Grind the roasted oats and rice flour and make a powder.
- Mix curd and beetroot juice in a bowl and mix it in the flour mix.
- Let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare the tempering.
- In a pan, heat oil and add mustard seeds, urad dal and chana dal.
- Now add the tempering in the batter. Adjust the consistency of the batter by adding water.
- Slowly add water, almost 1 cup of water is required for the desired idli like batter consistency.
- Now add lemon juice and fruit salt to the batter. Fold the batter slowly and gently.
- Now take the plates of idli steamer and grease them.
- Fill batter in the idli steamer plate and steam for around 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes check the idli with the help of a toothpick. If it comes out clean then the idlis are done.
- Take out the idlis from the plate and serve with tomato ketchup or coconut chutney or mint chutney.
- Rice flour is added in order to give volume to the dish.
- Asafoetida/hing is optional.
- If the curd is sour then let the batter stand for 20-25 minutes and don’t add fruit salt. If the curd is fresh then add fruit salt.