moong dal halwa
Mung dal halwa is made with skinless mung dal/washed green gram. It is a very rich dessert made by the combination of mung dal, ghee, dry fruits and saffron water. This rich and aromatic dessert is very famous across North India during winters as it gives warmth in chilling winters.
Yellow gram dal/skinless mung dal: 1 cup
Clarified butter/ghee: 2 cups
Powdered sugar: 2 cups
Chopped Unsalted pistachios: 20 nos.
Skinless Almonds chopped: 18-20 nos
Saffron strand: 10-12 nos.
Cardamom powder: 2 tsp
Milk: 1/2 cup
Water: 3 cups
1. Wash mung dal thoroughly and soak it in water for around 2 hours.
2. After 2 hours, strain the excessive water from the dal and grind it to a paste. The consistency should be little grainy and little pasty.
3. Now take a wok and heat ghee in it.
4. Add grinded dal to the ghee and continuously stir it, otherwise the dal would stick to the bottom of the wok.
5. Meanwhile, soak the saffron strands in luke warm milk for 18-20 minutes.
6. Roast the dal so that the color changes from yellow to golden brown. It will take around 30 minutes to roast it completely.
7. Boil water in a pan. Add the water to the roasted dal and stir it continuously.
8. Add saffron water, cardamom powder, almonds and pistachios to the wok and stir well.
9. Add powdered sugar. Mix well. Simmer the gas flame and reduce the water completely. Turn off the gas flame.
10. Garnish with almonds and pistachios and serve hot.