methi ki kadhi | kadhi with fenugreek leaves
Kadhi or karhi is a very popular dish of Indian subcontinent mainly prepared in Rajasthan and Gujarat. Various recipes of kadhis are prepared viz., sindhi kadhi, Gujarati kadhi, Rajasthani kadhi, Punjabi kadhi pakoda, gutte ki kadhi etc.
The basic ingredients for all the kadhis are same, there is slight difference in all the kadhi ingredients.
The basic ingredients are yogurt, gram flour and curry leaves.
Curd/yogurt: 2 cups
Gram flour: 1/2 cup
Water: 2-4 cups
Methi/fenugreek leaves: 250 gms
Grated ginger: 1 tbsp
Chopped green chilies: 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder: 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder: 2 tsp
Salt: as per taste
Red chili powder: 1 tsp
Garam masala powder: 1/2 tsp
Cloves: 3-4 nos
Black pepper corns: 3-4 nos
Whole red chilies: 3-4 nos.
Whole coriander seeds: 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds: 1/2 tsp
Cumin/jeera seeds: 1/2 tsp
Roasted cumin powder: 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida/hing: pinch of
Clarified butter/ghee: 4 tbsp
1. Take gram flour in a bowl and add curd to it. Whisk them thoroughly so that no lump remains.
2. Now add water to the gram flour mix and prepare a flowy consistency of the liquid. Now add washed and finely chopped fenugreek leaves to it. Also add grated ginger and chopped green chilies to the gram flour mix.
3. Heat a cooker and add the above mix to it and on high flame stir it continously until it starts boiling.
4. As soon as it starts boiling simmer the gas flame.
5. Now add turmeric powder, coriander powder and salt to the above mix.
6. Let it reduce to one-fourth of its original volume. It will take around 20 minutes.
7. Now prepare the tempering. Heat a pan and add desi ghee to it. Splutter mustard seeds, cumin powder, cumin seeds and coriander seeds to it. Now add cloves, pepper corns and whole red chilies to it.
8. Now add red chili powder and hing to the tempering. Turn off the flame and add the tempering in the reduced kadhi.
9. Kadhi is ready, serve it with roti or rice.