Maa chole ki dal…..
Dal or pulses is a staple food eaten in our households mainly once in the main course dishes. Many types of dals are made namely dal tadka, dal makhani, langarwali dal etc.
I never heard this name of the dal, maa choliyo ki dal earlier. I heard it first time when i was watching a food show and they mentioned this as a staple dal to be made in Punjab and mainly in the punjabi families residing in Delhi.
Maa or Maah here indicates Kali urad dal/split black gram and chole indicates split chick peas/chana dal cooked under pressure with lots of spices and tempering to give a rich and creamy flavor and the garlic and onion used here gives a subtle taste to the dal.
When I had this dal I recognized the same taste of the dal made in Rajasthani dal dhokli (https://piquantplate.com/2017/12/02/rajasthani-dal-dhokli).
- Kali dal/split black gram- 1/2 cup
- chana dal/split chick peas- 1/2 cup
- Water- 3 cups
- Hing/asafoetida- a pinch of
- Red chili powder- 1.5 tsp
- Turmeric/haldi powder- 1/2 tsp
- salt- as per taste
- cumin/jeera- 1 tsp
- Chopped tomatoes- 1 cup
- Chopped onions- 1.5 cups
- chopped green chilies- 1 tsp
- grated ginger- 1tsp
- chopped garlic- 1 tsp
- wash the dals thoroughly and soak them for around 4-5 hours.
- Take a pressure cooker and heat ghee/clarified butter to it.
- Add jeera to it and let it splutter.
- Saute chopped onions to the warm ghee until they become translucent.
- Add chopped garlic, grated ginger and chopped green chilies to it until their aroma comes out.
- Now add chopped tomatoes to it and cook until it softens up.
- Now add all the dry spices and cook until the ghee comes on the surface.
- Now add soaked dals along with water and cover the lid of pressure cooker.
- Cook on high flame until a whistle comes and then cook on simmer flame for 6-7 whistles.
- Turn off the gas knob and check the dal, if it is thick add some water to it and cook for another 5 minutes till it becomes creamy.
- Serve steamy hot with phulkas or rice.