Two flavoured lobia Dal appe with mint dip::
‘Paniyaram’ or ‘appe’ is a common breakfast eaten in South Indian families. Mostly made with semolina, rice flour, some vegetables like onions, tomatoes with a little of mustard tempering. Well!! this is really a very healthy recipe. Very light to digest and a very good break fast recipe. This can be made in minutes and can also be packed in lunch boxes for tiffin menu.
I tried to make it more protein packed by using pulses in it. Made it with two flavours just to give an add on taste to the dish and yes!!! flavoured it with sambhar masala which gives it a great South Indian taste and flavour.
—Benefits of lobia/black eyed beans:
Maintains Standard Cholesterol Levels
Controls Blood Cholesterol
Removes Free Radicals
Regulates Blood Sugar Levels
Treats Cardiovascular Ailments
Lignin Content Keeps Fatal Diseases Away
Treats Stomach and Pancreatic Problems
Cures Urination & Bowel Related Conditions
Whole lobia Dal/black eyed peas -200 gms
Curd – 1/2cup
Chopped green chilies-1tbsp
Roasted jeera powder-1tsp
Red chili powder-1/2tsp
Black pepper powder-1/2tsp
Sambhar masala powder-1tbsp
For flax seed tempering-
For tempering –
Julienned green chili-8-10 no’s
Curry leaves-10to 15 no’s
Chana dal-1 tsp
White urad Dal-1tsp
1. Soak lobia for 3-4 hours. After completely soaked, strain the water and grind it a fine paste.
2. Add some curd at the time of grinding to make a smooth paste. Now after grinding, beat the Dal batter with the beater in order to incorporate air in the batter. Add lemon juice to the batter.
3. Now cover the batter pan with a muslin cloth and put it in sunlight for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, you will see more aeration in the batter.
4. Heat ghee in a pan and add flax seeds to it. Let the flax seeds be completely splutter. Now strain the ghee and add in the batter.
5. Now add rest of the ingredients listed under batter preparation except red chili powder and haldi powder.
6. Divide the batter into two parts, keep one part as it is and to the other part add chili powder and haldi powder.
7. Now take an appam pan and put some flax seeds in each section of appam chatti. Pour the plain batter in each section and fill the section only half.
8. Cover the appam pan and let it cook.
9. When the appe are half done then add the colourful batter to it covering the surface.
10.Cover and let it cook, flip and cook from both sides.
11.Now for preparing tempering.
12.Heat oil and add all the ingredients listed under tempering.
13.Let them splutter, add appe to the tempering, sprinkle sambhar masala powder and salt to it.
14.Sprinkle some water so that the appe absorbs the sambhar masala.
15.Serve hot with mint dip.