As festive season is on-spree.. so i am just trying my hands on different traditional sweets. So, for today my dessert is Malpua. Malpua are the pancakes made with refined flours and dipped in sugar syrup and serve as it is or either with rabdi or kheer. It is a very popular dish served in India, Nepal and Bangladesh.
Well!!! the traditional halwais prepare it with a long method but we will prepare it with instant method in which we will use little baking powder to enhance fermentation process in it.
All purpose flour/maida: 1 cup
Full fat cream/malai: 1/2 cup
Milk: 1.5 cups
Fennel seed powder: 1 tsp
Cardamom powder: 1/2 tsp
Baking powder: 1/2 tsp
Ghee/clarified butter: for frying
For sugar syrup:
Sugar: 2 cups
Water: 1 cup
Fennel seeds powder: 1/2 tsp
Saffron strands: 4-5 nos.
1. Take a bowl and add maida to it.
2. Now take cream/malai and add to the maida. Give a nice mix.
3. Slowly add Milk and keep on stirring it. Prepare a batter of thin consistency. Refer to the pictures for the same.
4. Add fennel powder and cardamom powder to the batter. Add baking powder to the batter.
5. Now cover the batter and keep it for fermentation for around 30 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, prepare the sugar syrup. Heat a pan and add sugar to it. Now add water to the pan and keep on stirring.
7. Add fennel powder and saffron strands to the sugar syrup. Check the string consistency. Prepare 1 string consistency sugar syrup.
8. Now heat a flat bottom pan and add ghee to it.
9. Check the consistency of the batter, it should be flowy.
10. When the ghee is medium hot, then with the help of a ladle pour the batter in the ghee. Let it be fried on a medium hot flame. Flip and fry from the sides.
11. Fry until it is golden brown. Add to the sugar syrup and garnish with almond silverets and serve.