malai pyaz | how to make dhaba style malai pyaz
Malai pyaz is a vegetable curry made with the onions, beaten malai, clarified butter and lots of spices. This vegetable curry has a combination of flavors. It is little sweet and little spicy in taste. The sweetness comes from the malai and spiciness is due to the onions. This is great alternative at the time of when we do not have any stored raw vegetable in the house. It is a royal cuisine and is a great serving for guest.
Onions: 4-5 medium sized
Clarified butter/ghee: 3 tbsp
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Royal cumin/shahi jeera: 1 tsp
Bay leaf/tezpatta: 3-4 nos.
Whole dried red chilies: 3-4 nos.
Asafoetida/hing: pinch of
Chopped green chilies: 1 tbsp
Grated ginger: 1.5 tsp
Milk: 2 cups
Beaten malai: 1/2 cup
Water: 1/2 cup
Kasuri methi: 1 tbsp
1. Peel and roughly dice the onions. Wash them thoroughly.
2. Heat clarified butter in a wok and add mustard seeds to it. Let them crackle and now add royal cumin seeds and asafoetida to the wok.
3. Add bay leaf and dried red chilies to the wok. Add chopped green chilies and grated ginger to the wok and saute them nicely.
4. Now add 1 cup of milk to the wok. Stir it continuously. Let the milk boils. The mixture will thickens gradually. Now add 1/2 cup of water so that the mixture will not get burnt.
5. Now add roughly diced onions. Let the onions cook for 3-4 minutes. Now add remaining milk and beaten malai to the wok. Stir them nicely. Let the milk get reduced completely. Add kasuri methi, stir and serve with roti or phulka.