dal makhani | how to make dal makhani
India is known for its rich food and cultural heritage. India has a great culinary heritage. Various types of dishes are made with variety of ingredients.
Dal makhani is one such dish which is always on our menu at home and in restaurants. This thick and creamy dal is made by mixture of lentils and tastes best when cooked on a slow flame for longer time. For best results, the lentils has to be saoked for more than 5 hours. We can use either packed light cream for it or fresh malai/balai can also be used. If we are using malai, it has to be beaten nicely before use.
Related makhani recipes:
Preparation time: 40-45 minutes
FOR PREPARING DAL—
Whole black urad dal: 1cup
Rajma/kidney beans: 1/2 cup
Clarified butter/ghee: 4 tsbp
Butter: 2 tbsp
Royal cumin/shahi jeera: 1 tsp
Green cardamoms/elaichi: 3-4 nos.
Bay leaf/tezpatta: 3-4 nos.
Whole dried red chilies: 2-3 nos.
Asafoetida/hing: pinch of
Cloves/laung: 3-4 nos.
Whole black pepper/kali mirch: 2-3 nos.
Cinnamon sticks/dalchini: 1or2 nos.
Chopped onions: 1 cup
Ginger garlic paste: 2 tsp
Fresh tomato puree: 1.5 cups
Chopped green chilies: 1tsp
Coriander powder: 2 tbsp
Red chili powder: 1 tsp
Turmeric powder: 1/2 tsp
Salt: as per taste
All spice powder/garam masala powder: 1 tsp
Milk: 1.5 cups
Cream/malai: 1 cup
Kasuri methi: 2 tsp
Water: 4-5 cups
FOR DHUNGAR METHOD:
Coal piece: 1 medium sized
Clarified butter: 1 tsp
Cloves: 1 piece
–Boiling of dal:
1. Wash urad dal and rajma thoroughly with water. Soak both the dals separately for about 6-7 hours. Rinse the water of the dals.
3. Turn off the gas knob. Mash the dal little bit with the back of spoon.
–Preparation of tadka:
4. Heat ghee in a wok. Splutter royal cumin and asafoetida to it. Add remaining whole spices namely 1/2 cinnamon stick, cloves, black pepper, cardamom, bay leaf and whole dried chilies to the wok.
7. Now add milk, kasuri methi and cream or beaten malai to the wok. Mix everything nicely. Let the dal get cooked on simmer flame for around 18-20 minutes. Stir it occasionally so that it should not stick to the bottom of the wok.
8. Heat piece of coal on flame until red hot. Put the piece of coal in a bowl. Add little ghee and piece of clove. Put the bowl in the dal and cover with a lid for 5 minutes. The aroma of dhungar will be absorbed by the dal.
9. Top the dal makhni with cream. Serve with roti, naan or rice.