gazar halwa | gajrela | carrot pudding
Gazar ka halwa, gajrela, gazar pak or carrot pudding is made by cooking grated carrots with milk, khoya, sugar and dry fruits. Different recipes of the same are followed by different people. It is generally prepared during winters. It is a rich dessert delicacy and is known to have originated in Punjab.
Red carrots: 1 kg
Full fat milk: 1 liters
Full fat milk malai: 1 cup/250 gms
Unsalted pistachios: 15-20 nos
Almonds: 10-12 nos
Saffron strands: 7-8 nos
Cardamom powder: 1/2 tsp
Clarified butter/ghee: 2 tbsp
1. Wash carrots thoroughly and peel them. Grate the carrots with a little thick grating blades. Meanwhile soak saffron strands in luke warm milk.
2. Take a heavy bottom wok and add grated carrot to it.
3. Add ghee to the wok and saute the grated carrot in the ghee for 2 minutes and add boiled milk to it.
4. Stir it continuously and add malai to it.
5. Add soaked saffron strands milk to the wok.
6. Let the carrots gets cooked in the milk on slow flame until the milk is completely reduced in the wok.
7. When the milk is reduced completely, stir it continuously so that it does not stick to the bottom. It takes around 20-25 minutes to get completely reduced.
8. Add Chopped almonds and pistachios to the wok. Add cardamom powder also to the wok.
9. Add sugar to the wok and stir it until the sugar is completely dissolved. Cook for another 5 minutes so that the water released by sugar is completely reduced.
10. Garnish with chopped nuts. This can be stored for around 10-12 days in a refrigerator.