colorful muffins | muffins made without refined flour
All the kids are enjoying holidays these days. They are asking for different varieties of food items for the whole day. Sometimes we prepare something and sometimes we get market packed products for them.
One such packed item are the Muffins which are easily available at local grocery shops, dairies or in bakeries. They are packed in plastic wraps and are made with all purpose flour/maida. Sometimes even we don’t check their packing dates and give them to our kids. The maida/all purpose flour present in the muffins harms the health of an individual leading to intestinal disorders.
Today, I have prepared muffins with whole wheat flour and they are similar in texture and taste to the ones made with all purpose flour. I have used little synthetic color just to make it fancier in looks. The colors are completely optional to use. I have also used wafer chocolate in the middle of the muffins to add an extra surprise element for the kids. In the end, I have sprinkled some flavored fennel seeds which is giving a nice texture and off course a great taste.
KIDS ARE GOING TO LOVE THESE MUFFINS JUST BY LOOKING AT THEIR COLORS AND THE SURPRISED ELEMENT OF MELTED CHOCOLATE INSIDE. TRUE YUM YUM YUMMMMMMMMM….
- Wheat flour- 1 cup
- Full fat milk cream/malai- 1/2 cup
- Castor sugar- 3/4 cup
- Cold milk- 1/2 cup
- Baking powder- 1/2 tsp
- Baking soda- 1/2 tsp
- Vanilla essence- 1/2 tsp
- Red food color- a pinch of
- Green food color- 1 tsp
- Flavored fennel seeds- 1 tbsp
- Wafer chocolate- 1 whole block
- Preheat the oven on convection mode at 180 degree c for around 10 minutes.
- Take a bowl and mix milk cream and castor sugar.
- Beat them together until the sugar completely mixes with the cream.
- As we are using malai, it will start converting into butter if over whipped. Thats not to worry.
- Now add little milk to the above mixture and again beat it for around 1 minute.
- Now add vanilla essence and red food color to the above mixture.
- Now add the flour to it and mix it thoroughly. Now add the remaining milk and beat it nicely.
- Adjust the consistency of the batter. It must not be thick niether it is too flowy. It must be a normal semi solid flowy consistency. Refer to the pictures. As the batter was little thick so i have mixed little more milk to it.
- Now grease the muffin liners and pour little batter in the liners. Now put a gentle piece of wafer chocolate and then cover it with the batter completely.
- Now take green color and put just a drop of it on the batter. Spread the color on all sides with the help of a tooth pick.
- Sprinkle some flavored fennel seeds on the batter.
- Bake in a convection oven for around 22 minutes on 220degrees C.
- Take out from the oven and insert a tooth pick, if it comes out clean than the muffins are done.
- When you slice the muffins, a surprise element comes out in the form of melted chocolate.
- Depending upon different ovens, it may take around 20-25 minutes for the muffins to bake.
Baking without oven—-
- Take a pressure cooker and put some water in it. Now place a stand on it and place the muffin liners on the stand. Cover the cooker with a plate. Let them bake on a medium flame for around 18-20 minutes.
- You can also take wok/kadhai and follow the same process as done in the cooker.
- Insert the tooth pick and check the muffins.
- Use of colors is completely optional. You can use cocoa powder in place of it.
- You can also use normal chocolate instead of wafer chocolate.