christmas cake | rum and nut cake
Jingle bells!! Jingle bells!!
Well! christmas is round the corner and have you prepared your Christmas cake yet or not??
Preparing this nuts and rum cake seems to be a daunting task for me. The proper proportion of each and every ingredient is very important to make a perfectly moist delectable cake.
I searched for numerous recipes for classic Christmas cake and yess got some very interesting and full proof recipe.
This cake can be baked once and can be consumed from Christmas eve to new year..
—For soaking dry fruits:
Almonds: 10-12 nos.
Cashews: 10-12 nos.
Walnuts: 10-12 nos.
Raisins: 18-20 nos.
Black raisins: 10-12 nos.
Dates: 4-5 nos.
Apricots: 4-5 nos.
Figs: 3-4 nos.
Rum: 150-200 ml
Orange zest: 1 tsp
All purpose flour/maida: 1.25 cup
Baking powder: 1/2 tsp
Baking soda: 1/4 tsp
Powdered sugar: 3/4 cup
Malai/unsalted butter: 3/4 cup
Vanilla essence: 1/2 tbsp
Clove powder: 1/8 tsp
Cinnamon powder: 1/8 tsp
All spice powder: 1/8 tsp
Cardamom powder: 1/2 tsp
Orange zest: 1 tsp
Orange juice: 1 cup
Milk: 1/4 to 1/2 cup
Tutti fruity: 2 tbsp
Canned cherries: for garnishing
Salt: 1/2 kg
1. Firstly, before baking the cake the nuts has to be soaked in rum. For atleast 7 days and maximum 15 days the nuts should be soaked in order to get the best of the taste of the cake.
2. For soaking the nuts, follow the recipe link: rum soaked dry fruits.
—Preparing the cake batter:
1. Take a bowl and add malai/unsalted butter and powdered sugar to it. Whisk with the help of a beater or a hand whisk in order to mix them thoroughly. Mix them together until they are creamed properly.
2. Now add vanilla essence, all the dry spices to the mix and again beat them properly until they all are mixed.
3. Now take a strainer and strain all purpose flour, baking powder and baking soda.
4. Mix the flour mix to the above mixture and beat again with the help of a beater.
5. Keep on whisking the mixture and now add orange juice and orange zest. Whisk the mixture properly.
6. Now add soaked nuts along with the rum to the cake mix and now fold the mixture with the help of a spatula by ‘CUT AND FOLD’ technique. At this stage you will get a thick batter.
7. Now add around 1/4 cup of milk to the mixture and thinner its consistency to a little bit. Add the tutti fruity to the cake and mix thoroughly.
8. Preheat the oven at 180 degrees C for around 15 minutes.
9. Take a greased mould and pour the batter in it. Garnish the batter with canned cherries. Tap the mould twice to take out any air bubbles from the batter.
10. Now place the cake tin in a preheated oven. Bake at 180 degrees C for about 35-40 minutes.
11. Take out of the oven and insert a tooth pick, if it comes out clean then the cake is done.
12. If you are an extreme Rum cake lover then apply rum on the surface of hot cake in order to get the rich aroma and taste. This is completely an optional step.
13. Cool it and serve with tea, coffee..
—Alternative baking method:
1. Take a heavy bottom pan/pressure cooker and add salt to it. Heat the salt until red hot.
2. Pour the batter in the cake moulds. I have used muffin moulds.
3. Place a ring on the salt and then place the moulds on the ring.
4. Cover the lid and bake for around 20 minutes.
5. Take out the mould and let it cool. De mould the cake and enjoy.
This is ideal for gifting also. It has a shelf life of more than 20 days.