Paneer/cottage cheese is the most quintessential ingredient of Indian diet. It has a dual effect as it is healthy as well as tasty. Paneer can be used for making variety of dishes main course or starters.
One of the most healthy and yummy dish of paneer is Palak Paneer in which the paneer cubes are cooked in spinach gravy. This is healthy as well as tasty. The curry is seasoned with regular spices and a dash of cream can be added for enhancing the texture and taste of the dish.
This can be very well served with Roti, Naan or Paranthas.
Palak/spinach: 500 gms
paneer/cottage cheese: 300 gms
Tomatoes: 2 medium sized
Onions: 2 medium sized
Green chilies: 2 medium sized
Ginger: 2 inch piece
Coriander powder: 2 tbsp
Red chili powder: 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder: 1 tsp
Salt: as per taste
Roasted cumin powder: 1 tsp
All spice powder: 1 tsp
Cream/malai: 2 tbsp
Milk: 1/2 cup
Ghee/clarified butter: 2 tbsp
Cloves: 2-4 nos.
Cardamom pods: 2 nos
Black peppercorns: 2 nos.
1. Clean spinach and wash it thoroughly.
2. Now heat some water and add spinach to it so that the leaves should be softened up.
3. Wash the spinach with cold water and puree it to a fine paste.
4. Now take a mixer jar and blend tomato, onions, ginger and green chilies to it. Make a fine paste of everything.
5. Now heat a wok and add ghee to it. Add cloves, cardamom pods, black peppercorns and roasted cumin powder to it.
6. Now add the onion-tomato puree which was prepared. Add all the spices to the wok , milk and saute them until they start leaving the oil on the surface.
7. Now add spinach puree to the wok and mix well. Cover with lid and cook it well.
8. Now cut the paneer into cubes and boil for 2 minutes in water. Strain the paneer and add the paneer cubes to the wok. mix well and cook for another 2 minutes.
9. Garnish with malai. Serve hot with roti or parantha.