Navaratri, also spelled Navratri or Navarathri, is a nine nights (and ten days) Hindu festival, celebrated in the autumn every year. It is observed for different reasons and celebrated differently in various parts of the Indian subcontinent.
Generally people keep fast for a period of 9 days during navratri.
Fasting is the willing abstinence or reduction from some or all food, drink, or both, for a period of time.
During fasting people eat fasting foods which includes samak rice, sago/sabudana, kuttu flour, rajgira flour, etc.
My recipe for today is the Fasting Kadhi/kadhi made with singhara flour.
Singhara/Water chestnut is eaten during the fasting times. In markets, water chestnut flour is also available and is consumed during the fasting times.
Benefits of Water chestnut:
Singhara is rich in carbohydrate, fiber, vitamins and minerals. They are crispy and crunchy. It has enough amount of potassium, which helps to counter the effect of sodium and good for lowering blood pressure as well as for your heart. 5 raw water chestnuts have 5% of daily recommended of your potassium intake.
Singhara/water chestnut flour: 1/4 cup
Buttermilk: 2 cups
Water: 2 cups
Grated ginger: 1 tbsp
Chopped green chilies: 1 tbsp
Whole red chilies: 2 nos
Cloves: 2-4 nos
Blackpepper corns: 2- nos
Blackpepper powder: 1 tsp
Rock salt: 1.5 tsp
Pudina powder: 1.5 tsp
Fresh coriander: 1 tbsp
Ghee/clarified butter: 2 tbsp
1. Take flour in a bowl and mix 1 cup of buttermilk in it. Stir it nicely so that no lumps remains. Keep it aside for sometime.
2. After sometime add remaining buttermilk and stir it nicely. Add black pepper powder and rock salt to it.
3. Now Heat a wok and add ghee to it.
4. Now add whole red chilies, Cloves and black pepper corns to it.
6. Now add the flour-buttermilk mix to the wok and keep on stirring it.
7. Add 2 cups of water to it and keep on stirring it until it starts boiling.
8. Now cover the lid and let the kadhi gets cooked for 15-20 minutes on a simmer flame. Stir it occassionly.
9. Now add pudina powder to the kadhi. Check the consistency, it should be little liquidy as it solidies when gets cooled.
10. Garnish with desi ghee, ginger and green chilies and serve with samak rice.