Whenever on Sundays we visit our Sindhi friends they generally serve us with their very authentic dish, “Dal Pakwaan”. Dal Pakwaan is a very famous sindhi dish in which chana dal is served with crispy fried maida/all purpose flour puris topped with green chutney, tamarind chutney and chopped onions.
Its a very filling breakfast and can also be eaten as a main course dish. For making this little healthy, we can substitute all purpose flour with whole wheat flour.
Chana dal: 2 cups
Chopped onions: 2 large sized
Chopped green chilies: 2 tsp
Grated ginger: 2 tsp
Haldi powder: 1/2 tsp
Red chili powder: 1 tsp
Salt: as per taste
Desi ghee: 2 bsp
Whole red chilies: 3-4 nos
Asafoetida/hing: 1/2 tsp
Garam masala powder: 1 tsp
Maida/all purpose flour: 2 cups
Semolina/suji: 1/2 cup
Coarsely crushed black pepper: 2 tsp
Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
Desi ghee: 2 tbsp
Red chili powder: 1.5 tsp
Salt: as per taste ( i used around 1.5 tsp)
Water: for kneading the dough
oil: for frying
Grated jaggery: 1 cup
Aamchur/dry mango powder: 2 tbsp
Garam masala powder: 2 tsp
Ginger juice: 2 tsp
preparation of pakwaan:
1. Mix all the above ingredients listed under pakwaan except water.
2. Moin the flour properly with ghee as shown in the pic.
3. Slowly add water and prepare a stiff dough.
4. Cover it and keep aside for around 30 minutes in order to proove.
5. After 30 minutes, knead the dough again and pinch small balls from it.
6. Roll the dough ball in dry maida and roll it thin with the rolling pin.
7. It must be thinner than roti and thicker than papad. Make holes with a fork so that it should be crispy while frying.
8. Now in a hot oil fry it till it becomes golden brown and crunchy.
Preparation of Dal:
1. Wash chana dal thoroughly and soak it for around 2 hours.
2. After 2 hours, Pour the dal in cooker alongwith salt and haldi powder. Cook until one whistle comes and then turn off the gas knob and let the dal gets cooked in the steam. When the steam is released, add grated ginger and some green chilies to the dal and cover the lid.
3. Now prepare the tempering. In a wok heat ghee and add hing to it.
4. Now add whole red chilies and saute them.
5. Add chopped onions and some green chilies to the wok and saute until they turns translucent.
6. Add all the spices and boiled dal to the wok and cook for 5 minutes.
7. Turn off the flame and add chopped coriander to it.
Preparation of chutney:
1. To a heated wok add grated jaggery and let it melt down completely.
2. now add aamchoor powder and other ingredients to the wok and cook until it thickens to a flowy consistency. For recipe of tamarind chutney check the link: (https://piquantplate.com/2018/09/09/aamchur-gur-chutney-meethi-chutney-sweet-dip)
Garnishing of dal pakwaan:
To a platter , add pakwaan and pour dal on it.
Add chutney, chopped onions, coriander and lemon juice and enjoy!!!!