Dal tadka is a very popular Indian pulses curry served highly in restaurants and are eaten with steamed rice, or plain rotis. This is one of the dish highly served in highway dhabas. Dal tadka is a very easy, quick and super tempting recipe to make. I used the method of Dhungar which is basically a method to give a smoky tempering to the dish. We give dhungar to the dal tadka, galouti kebab, buttermilk and to few other curries also.
Dhungar is done by heating a piece of coal and then seasoning it with some clarified butter alongwith flavouring agents like cardamom or cloves. It simply adds a beautiful aroma to the dish.
Chana dal/split gram dal – 1/2 cup
Mung mogar dal/mung beans dal- 3/4 cup
Chopped tomatoes- 1 cup
Chopped onions- 1 cup
Chopped green chillies- 1 tsp
Grated ginger- 1 tsp
Chopped coriander- 1/2 cup
Haldi/turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder- 2 tsp
Red chili powder- 1tsp
Salt- as per taste
Garam masala powder- 1/2 tsp
Dried whole red chilies- 3-4 nos
Jeera/cumin- 1 tsp
Hing- pinch of
a very small coal piece
Laung/cloves- 1or2 nos.
Ghee- 1/2 cup
Water- around 4 cups
1. Wash the dals thoroughly.
2. To the pressure cooker add the washed dals, chopped onions, tomatoes, green chilies, haldi powder, coriander powder, salt and 1 tsp of ghee.
3. Cook the dals in pressure cooker, simmer the gas after 1 whistle, cook for around 7-8 minutes.
4. Open the pressure cooker after all the pressure is released from the cooker.
Mash the dal with the back of your spoon or with a whisk. Refer to the picture for consistency of the boiled dal.
5. Now prepare coal smoke/dhungar for the dal.
6. Heat a coal piece on the gas burner until it turns red hot. Put coal in a steel bowl and put laung on it. Now put ghee on it.
7. Put the smoky coal in the pressure cooker and cover the lid of pressure cooker in order to get the smoke absorbed by the dal. When you will open the lid of the cooker you will feel the aroma of the dal.
8. Heat ghee in a pan, add cumin seeds and let them splutter. Add hing to it and dried red chillies. Now add red chili powder and put the tadka in the smoked dal.
9. Add garam masala powder.
10. Serve hot with roti or rice.