Dahi vada is a chaat snack made by frying the dal vada, then soaking them in water and dipping them in whipped yogurt seasoned with mild spices, fresh coriander and pomegranate seeds.
The dahi vada is a vary famous chaat snack to be served on the streets as a street food. many variants of dahi vadas are made like bhalla papdi chaat, dahi puri chaat etc.
But i must say that this is the most liked dish in our Indian households and is made on many festivals.
Today, I have prepared the fasting/phalahari dahi vadas with samak rice and potatoes. To give them extra color i have added beetroot.
- Samak’s rice / saava – 1 cup
- Potatoes – 1 medium sized
- Beetroot/Chakundar – ½ Medium size
- Anaar/Pomegranate – 1 tbsp
- Green Chilli – 1 small size
- Rock salt – 1 teaspoon
- Cumin powder – ½ teaspoon
- Black pepper – ¼ teaspoon
- Mint powder – ½ teaspoon
- Curd – 1 cup frozen fresh
- Cashew nuts – 1 teaspoon
- Raisin – ½ teaspoon
- oil for frying
- Soak the samak rice for around 2 hours.
- Take a bowl and add soaked samak rice, boiled, grated potatoes, grated beetroot, black pepper powder and rock salt to it.
- Mix them thoroughly and make a dough.
- Pinch small balls from the dough and flatten it with your palms.
- In the centre of the dough put the chopped dry fruits and seal the ends completley. Flatten the ball with your palms.
- Deep fry the vadas till they become golden in color.
- Whip the curd and add chopped green chilies to it.
- Add rock salt, cumin powder and mint powder to the curd.
- Put vadas in the curd and garnish with fresh coriander and pomegranate seeds.