During our fasting days we need something which would be easy to prepare and full of energy.
People generally eat puris and paranthas made with kuttu flour or singhada flour which are generally made with lot of oil which could be heavy on stomach during the fasting day.
Today, I have prepared Samak rice ki khichdi for my dear frens which is very easy to make, lesser in fat to eat and nutritious too.
Samak rice also known as Barnyard millet is not a grain and is a healthy replacement of rice to be eaten during fast. Mainly kheer, khichdi, dhokla or cheela can be prepared with samak rice.
Sago rice is rich in digestible fibers, minerals and vitamins and offers excellent nourishment. Because of its fiber content, will make you feel fuller for a longer period of time, thus reducing the food intake and helping in portion control and loss of weight.
- Samak rice/sava- 1 cup
- Potato peeled and diced- 1 cup
- Groundnuts/mungphali- 1/4 cup
- Chopped tomatoes- 1/2 cup
- Chopped green chilies- 2 tsp
- Rock salt/sendha namak- 2 tsp
- Red chili powder- 1 tsp
- Black pepper corns- 5 nos
- Chopped coriander- 1/2 cup
- Desi ghee/clarified butter- 1.5 tbsp
- water- 4.5 cups
- Wash the samak rice and diced potatoes properly.
- Now in a pressure cooker heat some desi ghee and peppercorns to it.
- Now saute peanuts to it for around 2-3 minutes till they turn nutty.
- Now add tomatoes and cook them until they become soft.
- Add potatoes, samak rice and green chilies and give a nice stir.
- Now add all the dry spices and add water to it.
- Add chopped coriander and cover the pressure cooker.
- Simmer the gas knob after one whistle and then cook for around 10 minutes.
- Serve hot with desi ghee.
- The ratio of water and samak rice is very important. It is 1 part of samak rice and 4.5 parts of water.
- It taste good when served hot, on reheating it loses its taste and consistency.