These days when we go to the supermarkets we see many fancy packed food items which are overly priced. We buy them because we find them fancy and yummy to eat. One such food is Flavored Foxnuts/makhane which are very widely used in our routine diet as tea time snacks. They come in different flavors and are baked too, so we find them delectable to eat and they are appetizing too. But in the supermarkets they are very highly priced for even smaller packets. They can also be eaten during fasting days.
What if we can make the same flavored foxnuts at home. Today, I flavored my foxnuts with kasuri methi/dried fenugreek leaves and they came out so delicious.. just yummmm yummmmmm…..
Benefits Of foxnuts:
- It’s a good source of protein, carbohydrates, fiber, magnesium, potassium, phosphorus, iron and zinc.
- High in fiber and low in calories, it enables weight loss.
- Its low sodium and high magnesium content makes it beneficial for those suffering from heart diseases, high blood pressure, diabetes and obesity.
- It contains an anti-aging enzyme, which is said to help repair damaged proteins.
- Its glycemic index is significantly lower than most high carbohydrate foods like rice, bread, etc.
- Makhane/foxnuts- 1 cup
- Desi ghee/clarified butter- 1.5 tbsp
- Kasuri methi/dried fenugreek- 1 tbsp
- Rock salt/sendha namak- 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper powder- 1 tsp
- Take a wok/kadhai and dry roast the makhanas on the simmer flame for around 15-20 minutes till they become crunchy.
- Now take a glass bowl and add ghee, black pepper powder and salt to it.
- Crush kasuri methi with your palms and add to the ghee mixture.
- Now microwave this ghee mix for 1 minute and then cover it and keep it aside for 10 miniutes.
- In 10 minutes, the Ghee will absorb the flavor of kasuri methi completely.
- Check the makhanas and then add the ghee mixture to the makahnas.
- Mix it thoroughly and roast for another 3-4 minutes for the makhanas to absorb the ghee completely. The makahnas will have a beautiful light green color with a great aroma.
- Store in an air tight container.
It is a perfect snack to cut the small hunger pangs. They are beneficial for the kids too and one can eat them guilt free.