Navratri are on their way and people are just filling up their panteries with falahari food items. We always love to drool over new recipes and if we get a chance to eat them in fast is like a treat for our tummies.
Some of us are in a habit of eating cookies with tea in our evening snacks but during fast we really miss our favorite tea time friend- the cookie.
So, today I have got Fasting cookies for my dear freinds so that they can feed their tummy during their craving times during fast.
I have made cookies with Singhara flour (water chestnut flour) . This flour is normally eaten during the fasting days and generally we prepare halwa or puris with the same.
Other than this, Buckwheat flour and amaranthus flour is also used during fasting days.
The cookies made here are mildly seasoned with Nutmeg and cardamom powder, and to add extra energy dessicated coconut is used. The cookies are prepared completely without baking soda and baking powder and yet they are perfect round, gooey and completely baked.
Benefits of water chestnut flour:
The flour is high in energy quotient and is —-
- Low in fat
- Low in sodium
- High in potassium
- Rich in minerals, including calcium, iron, zinc, and phosphorus
- Contains moderate amounts of fiber
- Good source of energy
- Water chestnut flour/singhare ka aata- 1.25 cup
- Full fat milk cream/malai- 1/2 cup
- Powdered sugar- 1/2 cup
- Nutmeg powder- 1/4 tsp
- Cardamom powder/elaichi- 1/2 tsp
- Dessicated coconut/sukha nariyal powder- 1 tbsp
- Almond silverets/crushed almonds- 1 tbsp
- Clarified butter/desi ghee- for greasing the tray
- Take Full fat cream/malai in a bowl.
- Add powdered sugar to that bowl and beat them with the help of a beater or a hand blender until they completely mixes.
- Now add dessicated coconut and then stir it continuously with your hand for around 2-3 minutes.
- It will form a sticky dough. Manage the dough by applying ghee on your palms.
- At this stage it would be sticky to handle.
- Now cover the bowl with a cling wrap and keep it in the freezer for 15 minutes or in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- After 15 minutes take out the dough from freezer. Now it would be easy to manage as the fat inside the dough has set.
- Now line an oven tray with ghee and pinch small balls from dough and make small round balls and flatten them a little with your hands.
- On the top surface make a mark with a knife in the form of cross and sprinkle almond silverets on it.
- Very important to note, beating of cream and sugar has to be done very precisely because this process will help the cookies to get baked perfectly.
- While beating sugar and cream make sure that the ghee should not seperate out.
- The time of baking varies for different ovens.
- Store in an air tight container.
- Nutmeg powder is very aromatic so be precise in adding it.