Holi re holi Rango ki toli!!!!!!!!!! completely mesmerised by these beautiful holi bollywood numbers. They bring back the childhood memories and leaves completely nostalgic.
Personally, I believe that holi is the most beautiful festival giving us lots of colors, yummy yummy gujiyas and flavorful thandai.
In our childhood days, we did lots of preparations for the holi festival. Water-filled balloons, lambi si pichkari, lots of colors and gulal. Actually, those were the days when festivals were celebrated with lots of love, compassion and natural behavior. People used to enjoy each and every festival with the sense of belongingness and empathy.
Well!!!! things are changed and now we play Eco-friendly holi, eat calorie free sweets and desserts.
Today, I am presenting a holi treat,“Rang birangi mithas”full of colors (colors are therapeutic), lesser in calories and loaded with flavors to satisfy the palate and your taste buds.
Today in my dish, the signature equipment used is “appam chatti” or appe pan to prepare the wheat flour sweet appes oil free.
I have used Wheat flour, oats to enhance the health quotient and also jaggery is used in place of refined sugar in order to cut the calories. Fresh fruits are used to give a refreshing look, feel and taste to the dessert. The green colored whipped cream works as “icing on the cake” and provides a refreshing texture to the dish.
The reason for adding citrus fruits is to balance the creaminess and sweet flavor of jaggery with citric taste of these fruits. It will have a balance of flavors.
- Wheat flour- 1 cup
- Oats- 1 cup
- Skimmed milk- 1 cup
- Jaggery powder/ gur powder- 1 cup
- Chopped strawberries- 1/2 cup
- Chopped kiwi- 1/4 cup
- Chopped pineapple- 1/2 cup
- Chopped grapes- 1/2 cup
- Sesame seeds- 2 tsp
- Cinnamon powder- 1/2 tsp
- Cardamom powder- 1 tsp
- Chopped almonds- 1 tbsp
- Green food color- 1 tsp
- Vanilla essence- 1 tsp
- Whipping cream- 1 tbsp
- Low fat cream- 1 cup
- Take a bowl and mix wheat flour, cinnamon powder, cardamom powder and 2 tbsp of jaggery powder to it.
- Now slowly add milk and mix the ingredients. It is very important to slowly add the milk in order to avoid the formation of lumps and make a smooth batter of flowy consistency.
- Keep the batter for 10 minutes in a warm place.
- Now take an appam patra and roast oats in it till they give a slightly nutty flavor as shown in the pic.
- Now add the wheat flour batter to the appam patra on the roasted oats. In this way the oats will stick to the appe giving a crunch in the mouth.
- Now on the top of the batter put some sesame seeds.
- Cover with a lid and cook from both the sides.
- Take out the wheat appe from the patra and let them cool. Refer to the pics.
- Now take a bowl and add whipping cream and low fat cream to it. Keep the bowl on the ice bath and start whipping the cream together.
- After whipping for 2-3 minutes add powdered jaggery and continue whip it till it turns fluffy. Add vanilla essence and mix thoroughly.
- Now divide the cream into two parts. In one portion add 2 drops of green food color and leave the other as it is.
- Now assemble the dessert in a clear glass.
- Firstly add a layer of chopped fruits.
- Now put the appe on the fruits.
- Now drop whipped cream on the appe in such a way that it will cover the surface.
- Now add another layer of fruits and sprinkle cinnamon powder.
- Add appe on the fruits and add chopped almonds and roasted oats to the appe.
- Now add green colored whipped cream.
- Finish with chopped almonds and sesame seeds.
- I have made smaller portions in oredr to finst the whole helping at once. You can repeat the process and can make bigger helping too.
- If you dont have appam patra, make very small pan cakes in the same way and arrange them in the clear glass.