I always plan my kiddos lunch box a night before going to sleep. So, yesterday I boiled spinach to make palak paranthas. But, kids are bored of same paranthas. My kiddo asked me to give any bread recipe as other kids also bring bread in the meal box. Sandwich was complete no-no!!!!! and I believe in giving high vegetable quotient to my child in the lunch box.
So, with the same boiled spinach I prepared vegetable bread fingers. Very easy peasy recipe to make and very handy and hassle free meal for the kids to eat in the school.
- Bread slices- 5-6
- Cheese cubes- 2 nos
- Grated carrot- 1 cup
- Grated paneer (cottage cheese)- 1/2 cup
- Chopped, blanched spinach- 1 cup
- Pudina powder- 1 tsp
- Dry coriander powder- 1 tsp
- Black pepper- 1 tsp
- Rock salt- as per taste
- Finely chop spinach and blanch it. Strain and squeeze out additional water.
- Now take bread slices and remove their edges.
- With the help of a rolling pin, flatten the bread slices as shown in the pic.
- Now take a bowl and mix grated carrot, grated paneer, blanched spinach, pudina powder, dry coriander powder, salt and black pepper.
- Mix all the ingredients thoroughly and now add grated cheese to the mixture.
- Divide the mix into equal parts and roll out each portion into a cylinder.
- Put the mixture on the flattened bread slice and roll the bread and seal the ends of the bread with the help of little water.
- After filling all the bread slices keep them in the refrigerator for 5 minutes.
- Now apply some olive oil on the rolled bread and put it in the sandwich maker.
- Cover the lid of sand wich maker. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Serve with tomato ketchup.
- You can also deep fry them or can toast on the non- stick pan.
- If you want to deep fry them then coat them in semolina, so that they will be more crisp and good in texture.
- Dry coriander powder : It is the powder made by me by washing fresh coriander thoroughly and then drying it in the sunlight for few days. Same as we do for pudina powder. The coriander dries off within 8-10 days of sunlight and can be preserved for an year. This can also be added in vegetable curries, lentils etc
- You can add fresh coriander if you don’t have dry powder.