Hot–cross buns! Hot–cross buns! One a penny, two a penny…,,,,
We heard this rhyme many at times when we were toddlers and preschoolers. Revisiting that rhyme today I have got a recipe which is exactly not like the hot cross buns but just a representation. I have made a mark of cross with the the help of cheese strips on to our very favorite pav bread which we generally eat with pav-bhaji.
Pav-bhaji is yet another a very famous street food eaten in India especially Maharashtra. It is basically vegetables cooked and mashed and served with buttery pav breads.
It is a good appetite to be served to the kids in their meal boxes and one can enjoy them in breakfast too.
- Pav breads- 6 pieces
- Fresh green peas/matar- 1/2 cup
- Carrot- 1/2 chopped+ 1/2 grated
- Capsicum- 1medium sized
- Tomato- 1 medium sized
- Paneer/cottage cheese- 100 gms
- Freshly chopped coriander- 1 tbsp
- Black pepper powder- 1 tsp
- Salt- as per taste
- Chili flakes- 1 tsp
- Oregano mix- 1 tsp
- Processed cheese- 1 medium sized cube
- Eggless mayonnaise- 1 cup
- Butter- 2 tsp
- In a non stick pan, dry roast the peas for 2-3 minutes. Then add chopped capsicum and chopped carrot to it. Cook them for 2-3 minutes. Now add grated carrot and chopped tomatoes to it. Again cook them for 2-3 minutes. We will not add any oil to these vegetables.
- Now add grated paneer/ cottage cheese to the vegetables.
- Add salt, black pepper, oregano and chili flakes to the above veggie mix.
- Now keep the pan aside. Let it cool.
- Take the pav breads and on the top surface of the pav make slits in square shape with the help of a knife. Take out the square portion and dig it to make a canopy in the pav bread as shown in the picture.
- Roast the pav breads on non stick pan with little butter.
- Now fill the canopies with the filling.
- Make thin strips of cheese and put them on the top surface of the filling in the manner that they give the appearance of a cross sign.
- Now brush a microwave plate with little butter and put the stuffed pav breads into it.
- Microwave for 50-60 seconds.
- Take a bowl and add mayonnaise, oregano, chili flakes and pinch of salt to make a dip.
- Serve the twisty hot cross buns with dip. Enjoy with tea, coffee in the breakfast.
- For getting the perfect cross sign, you can microwave only for 30 seconds.
- Grated carrot is used to give volume to the filling.
- To give it a perfect pav bhaji taste you can add pav bhaji masala to it.
- Veggies of your choice can be added. But the filling must be dry so as to keep the pav intact.
- Another batch of veggies like bell peppers, broccoli and corn can be used along with baked rajma beans with sour cream in order to give it a Mexican touch.