Sev is a popular snack and is widely eaten in almost all parts of the country. It is named differently like bikaneri bhujia, ganthiya sev, teekhi sev, ratlami sev, kurmura sev, omapodi, kara sev, ribbon sev, falooda sev, etc. It is made with chickpea flour, cayenne, ajwain and deep fried in oil. Additional spices like cloves, garam masala powder, cumin powder etc adds taste to the sev. Various others flavors can also be added like tomato, garlic etc.
The recipe of instant ganthiya sev is tempting and is simple to make. It can be stored for days in an air tight container.
Preparation time: 15-20 minutes
- Gram flour(barik beasn) : 250 gms
- Carom seeds(ajwain) : 1 tsp
- Red chili powder : 1 tsp
- Cloves(long) : 8-10 nos
- Oil( for moin) : 2 tsp
- Asafoetida(hing) : a pinch of
- Salt : as per taste
- Oil for frying
- Finely crush cloves and carom seeds in a mortar pestle.
- Now take a flat plate and add gram flour (barik besan) to it.
- Now add crushed cloves, carom seeds, red chili powder, asafoetida and salt to it.
- Add oil to give it a moin. Mix the oil thoroughly and make a crumble consistency of the flour with the help of your fingers.
- Now add little water and knead the dough.
- It would be little wet. Rub little oil on your hands to manage the dough.
- Heat oil in a wok.
- Now grease the sev making machine with oil and add the besan dough to the machine.
- Now when the oil is hot drop the sev from the machine in the oil.
- Move your hand in the circular direction.
- Now deep fry it till it turns golden in color.
- Take out from the oil. Let it cool. When it comes in contact with air it turns crispy.
- Enjoy with tea, coffee or alone😜.
- The consistency of dough should be proper. It must not be very hard and niether very soft.
- Dropping of besan into oil must be done with full precaution. It would be gripped tightly.
- I have mentioned barik besan which is completely optional. If you get it then its fine, otherwise you can use regular besan and can use it by sifting it 2-3 times.